Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Kitchen Renovation

On Monday, we started something huge. A Kitchen Renovation.

So, right now, my life is all school, dust, saws, and demolition. *sigh* I guess that's just life here at my house (affectionately known as Elsie Cottage :) But, really, the remodel is not actually as bad as I thought it would be. It's pretty interesting to see how it's coming along! You always see this stuff on HGTV, and now it's actually happening right downstairs in my very own kitchen!

And now we ask the question, Why? Why rip apart what is often referred to as the heart of the home? Answer: Our kitchen is, arguably, the worst part of our house. (besides our one, DINKY bathroom.) The cupboards hang really low, and there really is not very much use-able counter space. We have 7 people in our family, and somehow, every time mom's in there cooking, everyone else is in there too, crowding up what could be considered inadequate space for just ONE person, let alone 7.

So, yes. That's what's going on around here. I have pictures *cheer!* to share. Some shocking Before's and After's. :) Are you ready?

Before: The original cupboards hang low and limit the usability of the counters. (Picture 1)

The Wall next to the fridge houses a closet/pantry behind it. Although it is nice to store food there, the floor-space would be more use-able. (picture 2)

The sink is rather old, and leaks underneath in the cupboard below, rotting the cupboard and making it un-usable. (Picture 3)
Kitchen RenoKitchen RenoKitchen Reno


After: The Cupboards are gone! (picture 4)

The Wall has been torn down to eliminate the closet, but create a nook for the refrigerator. (picture 5)

The Sink is gone as well! (Picture 6)

Half of the wall (where the cupboards were) is torn down. This creates a breakfast bar area, and makes the Kitchen and Dining-room more connected. (Picture 7)

Kitchen RenoKitchen RenoKitchen RenoKitchen Reno

This last photo is something special we found in our walls. A wood board with writing on it by the original builders of our house! It reads : "May 7, 1929, "MY CITY", Ohio"

Kitchen Reno
I will keep you up-to-date, and post more pictures later!

By the way, 8 followers? WOW! I'm flattered! Thanks so much, you guys!



4 comments:

  1. Wow,Allison!

    It looks so different! I can't wait to see it when it's done! It looks so big in the pictures,is it bigger now? Who's doing the renovation again? I know you told me,but I don't remember.(Of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. COOLIO! BTW I LOVE YOUR BLOG! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that was salazar from homeschoolblogger.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,nice post thanks for sharing?. I just joined and I am going to catch up by reading for a while. I hope I can join in soon.

    ReplyDelete