Thursday, March 25, 2010

Something to think about...

On Wednesday nights at youth group, we have been going through this fabulous book, "Concise Theology" by J.I. Packer. It has created many interesting conversations and subjects! Last night's study was no exception. We were learning about the Glory of God, and one paragraph stuck out to me in particular. I thought I would share it with you here.

"God would not share with idols the praise for restoring his people, for idols, being unreal, contributed nothing to this work of grace (Isa. 42:8, 48:11); and God will not share the praise for salvation with it's human subjects today, for we too contribute nothing more to it than our need of it. First to last, and at every stage in the process, salvation come from the Lord, and our praise must show our awareness of that. This is why Reformation theology was so insistent on the principle, "Glory to God alone" (soli Deo gloria), and why we need to maintain that principle with equal zeal today."
(emphasis added)


It is a great book that I reccomend everyone read, however, it is not for the faint of heart. ;) It usually takes at least the week for what I learned to sink in! ;)

soli Deo gloria!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Allison! How nice that you red my blog! By the way, I also was given an old bible at my birthday (from my parents) that was used by my grandmama (oma). It was signed 1928! She received it when she left sundayschool...it is so important to me! And now, whenever I find such signed bibles, I just have to take care of them...
    I like you haircut! My hair is the same as yours was...but I am trying to get it back to over my behind again. When my children where born It was so long...but it needet cuts as during the period after pregnancys it lost its 'magic' so I endet with straight hair upon braheight...now it is back up to my behind and each year my mom is allowed (haha!) to cut a small piece...(she is laughing as she always cuts a bit more as I like..). I do this every year on mothersday, so I keep it healthy at the points.
    Sometimes I wear it with a clip and loose, but mostly I make a tail with an braid that I turn into a bun with a hairstick. (easy to have while I clean and run arround house and garden..)
    Have a lovely day, greetings from Manon.

    ReplyDelete