Sunday, April 11, 2010

And now, for your reading pleasure...


Two books, One I have already finished reading, and one I am in the process of reading. It just so happens they are both historical fiction!

First up: a book I just finished reading and really enjoyed. "The Calico Captive" by Elizabeth George Speare.

When I was younger, I had to read the books "The Bronze Bow" by aforesaid author for school. And I hated it. Looking back, I think I was not quite ready for it. ( Just like when I tried to read "Robin Hood" in 3rd grade. There is a season for everything... and that wasn't it. lol)

But, when I was a bit older, I read "The Witch of Blackbird Pond". twice. I LOVE(d) that book! So, although I had a track record of not enjoying the works of Miss. Speare, I found so much enjoyment in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond", I decided to give "The Calico Captive" a try.

I really enjoyed this book! It is set during the colonial era. At The beginning of the book, Miriam Willard Is captured by a group of Indians along with her family and her next door neighbor. Throughout the story, Miriam deals with fear of being sold to the french as a slave or worse-- being killed! This book was actually based on a true story. I found this story to be very interesting, and I will admit I stayed up very late a few nights to finish it!

The other book I am reading for school currently. It is called "Mara: Daughter of the Nile" by Eloise Jarvis McGraw. I think it is obvious the theme of this book is Egypt. Mara is bought from her evil master by a mysterious man who promises her freedom in exchange for being a spy, and completing a dangerous mission! I am enjoying this book because not only is it well written, but it is also enjoyable to read a book which brings Ancient Egypt to life!

So now, you must go to the library and check out both of these books.

It is wonderful to be back from the Midwest Homeschool Conference! I really enjoyed myself, but it is good to be home! What a pleasant surprise it was to see three new followers and lots of new comments! I really appreciate it. I would like to be a writer someday, and it is encouraging for me to see that 19 people care about what I say! :)


8 comments:

  1. I have read 'Calico Captive' Isn't good?!!!

    Have you read the other book by Elizabeth George Speare? It is called 'The Witch of BlackBird Pond'. That is even better then CC!

    Thanks for posting!

    In our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ,

    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read (and really liked!) both of those books!

    ~Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Calico Captive has been one of my favorite books for probably 10 years. :^) I always loved the descriptions of the 18th c. fashions - and how she worked as a seamstress.

    I read 'mara' for school too - way back. I need to dig it out again, because I've forgotten most of it....thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All those books are my favorites! Elizabeth George Speare and Eloise Jarvis McGraw are two of my all time favorite authors. You should read some of Eloise McGraw's other books too.
    Carry On, Mr. Bowditch is also a favorite, but I don't think it's by Elizabeth George Speare, it's by Jean Lee Latham.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both of those books, and I've read my copy of The Bronze Bow to death!=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane,
    Thank you for correcting me on "Carry On, Mr Bowditch". You are correct!

    Allison Elizabeth ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely LOVED The Bronze Bow when I read it years ago. I ought to give The Witch of Blackbird Pond and Calico Captive a try! Thanks for the recommendations.
    Blessings,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked the Calico Captive. I stayed up past 1:00 reading most of it and finished it before I got up in the morning the next day. :)
    I also really like The Witch of Blackbird Pond.

    --Darby

    ReplyDelete