Friday, April 30, 2010

On The Road.... *Again*



*GAH!* Another post that is not about our kitchen reno! That is the LAST time I'm making any such posting-promises. I will, sometime, post "after" pictures of our kitchen. Just lay off on the pressure, will ya?

Well, we just got a call today from someone in Holmes County (Amish Country) Ohio, reminding us that we are scheduled to (
get this) GO THERE THIS MONDAY.

We had completely forgotten! We thought that we weren't supposed to go there until the 15th of may, or something like that! So, yet again, I will be packing my bags. This is the
3rd road-trip in 6 weeks, I believe! I am definitely not cut out for this! I am still exhausted from Kentucky last weekend. That's not to say I'm not excited... I am! It's just.... wow.

Since I am officially Allison the globe-trotter (yep. It's official.), I thought I would share some va
cation must-haves for moi. Vacations are just not the same without the following important items....

No. 1- My two favorite games EVER; Scattergories and Apples to Apples.

Scattergories is a fun game! To play, everyone gets a list with 12 categories (such as "A girl's name" or "Occupation"...and everyone has the same list of categories too) and then you roll a cute little dice with letters on it. Say you roll "A". You set the timer and Go! You have to fill in an answer for each category that starts with the letter you rolled. ( For example... "A Girl's Name"-- Allison, "Occupation"--Architect). When time is up, everyone must stop answering, and read their answers out loud. If you and another player thought of the same answer, you and that player don't get a point... but if your answer is original, you get a point! (Let me just say, however, with this game people LOVE to cheat. I have seen even the most honest people try to pull off... say... "Food"--
A Taco. Um, sorry. No.)

Apples to Apples... Oh my goodness! This is my most favorite game ever! In Apples to Apples, everyone gets 7 red apple cards which have a whole smorgasbord of words... everything from "televangelists" to "My Bedroom" to "Micheal Jackson". One person is the judge (you take turns.. this game is played in rounds, so you change judges every round) and they have a green card which will be an adjective.. such as "Cute" or "fluffy" or "Manly". Everyone must choose a red card from their hand, and place it in the middle. The judge then reads the cards and chooses which one he/she thinks best fits the green category card. You win when you have a certain number of green category cards.

I have played this game with many different people, all different ages and had a blast every time! Some people are super goofy and pick the complete opposite answer (such as "Category = feminine" and "Judge's Choice = handcuffs").


No. 2: My Lovely Brown Sandals from Skechers. I LOVE these shoes! I believe they are called "Sassies". The reason I love these shoes soooo much is because they are kind of a tennis shoe/church shoe/ sandal all smooshed into one. That is rather essental for me, since we only get 1 pair of shoes per season. So basically, I need a pair of shoes that I can wear with everything and to everywhere untill the end of summer. And of course, they are a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e!



No. 3: My Nikon D40, and aforesaid camera's batteries. completely charged.

We like to be total tourists in Holmes County, and drive slowly down the country roads, sticking our heads out the window and snapping pictures of everything.

Photobucket Photobucket

No. 5: For the little kids in my life.... (there happens to be three of them..) We always have a library marathon right before the trip and find a bunch of picture books for the kids. We usually have a whole crate full of them! I, personally, don't bring any books for myself... (I am v-e-r-y prone to car sickness)

Which reminds me... (the picture book part, not the car sickness part) Jane over at Novel Pretender is having a Picture Book Month starting today, I believe. It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun! To participate, everyone writes (and illustrates!) a picture book! (Or, for you camera-ish people, maybe you could do photographs in your picture book!)



And our Official Road-Trip Snack??? Pull and Peel Twizzlers!!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2351/2299782600_43de8f5659_m.jpg
**for some reason I just had a "
Wicked; The Musical" Flash and started singing "The Twizzlers and I" to the tune of "The Wizard And I". Wow.
I went and saw "
Wicked" when the traveling show came around here. It was so good! It's supposed to be the story before "The Wizard of Oz".**

And those are my travel must-haves.... Have a great weekend, everybody!


3 comments:

  1. Oh my, I can't even stop thinking about it. Yep more life on the road.

    By the way, Today is May 1st.

    -Hannah (sis)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I went and saw Wicked when it came to my town last year. It was amazing! So good. I checked out the soundtrack from the library and listened to it almost every day the rest of the summer. I would love to see it again sometime.

    That's an awesome road trip list. I think my top thing to do on a roadtrip is play the alphabet game, where everyone is trying to find the letters of the alphabet, in order, on the signs and buildings outside of the car. The first person to find "Z" wins the game. It's really fun.

    ~Jane~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings,
    I enjoyed reading your post... I hope you have a good trip, and get well rested too!

    Those are fun games...we like both of those, for when all the family is together.

    Oh!! I just bought those shoes, I LOVE them, they didn't have my size in the brown... :( so I got the black, but I am on the hunt for a pair of 6.5 in brown...so I am hoping I can find them. :)

    I love doing road trips...so thanks for sharing what you like to take with you.

    Have a lovely day,
    Brielle

    ReplyDelete