Thursday, May 13, 2010

Holmes County Vacation Pictures

DSC_0191

Yahoo! I am so excited to finally *begin* sharing these pictures with you! I'll tell you, there was a boat load. This morning, we finally transferred everything off of our camera and on to our computer... all 500+ pictures, the bulk of which were Holmes Cty. Pics.

Brace yourself.

Of course, I won't be sharing all 500, but I wanted to begin posting some of the better ones (hey, when you're driving down e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y hill-y roads, sometimes your pictures come out a little.... crooked.) But let me take you on a tour of Holmes Cty. Enjoy the most beautiful place on earth!

DSC_0100
In Holmes County, every-day life is just plain special! You find beauty even in every-day things such as the rolling hills (H.C. is overflowing with them) or colorful swings in a private Amish school's yard.

DSC_0152


Up on a very tall hill, there was the most fabulous swing! You are so high up, that when you swing, it feels like you're flying! A long way off, at the bottom of the hill, there is a sparkling pond.

How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!


DSC_0124DSC_0118
Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
River and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--


DSC_0115DSC_0114

Till I look down on the garden green,

Down on the roof so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!

DSC_0122

Whenever I go to Amish Country, I am always amazed by one thing- how "normal" Amish people are! I've heard people compare them to pioneers, but I wouldn't compare them to pioneers at all. They really are not very much alike. Some Amish are mean, some are nice. Some are talkative, some are quiet. They drink Faygo pop, they wear Aroepostle t-shirts over their cape dresses, they wear flip-flops, sunglasses, drive in cars (though they aren't the ones driving the cars), talk on the phone, and eat at Burger King. Pioneers, my dear, they are not.

DSC_0179

I have many, many other pictures to share, but I'll do it over a series of posts.

DSC_0316

Have a wonderful day, and comment! I'd love to hear what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Love all the pictures! I going to put some on my blog too!

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely! Great pics, too!

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photo of the hills, it looks like a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures, thank you for sharing....
    The colors in the pictures look like paintings...very nice.

    The pictures of you swinging are really cute too.. :) LOVE the shoes..;) Fun to see someone else wearing the same ones as me.

    Have a lovely day,
    Brielle

    ReplyDelete