Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tomatoes and Eyeliner...

Yesterday, we planted some Tomato plants and Peppers in our backyard. I can't wait until the Tomatoes are full grown and ready to be picked!

We ended up getting rid of a couple of the plants because we felt they were too close together.

DSC_0015

Now, are you ready to see something crazy? Our church is having a Egyptian themed VBS this year, and they will be teaching the story of Joseph throughout the week. I am volunteering as a helper. The volunteers were given the option of either dressing up Egyptian or wearing t-shirts with the VBS logo on them. Being me, I (of course!) chose option A. I am dressing up!! So last night I decided to try out some Egyptian eyeliner. All I can say is "oh. my.".

DSC_0024

That was interesting. My 4 year old brother said to me "Al, you got freaky eyes!" Thanks, Luc. Honestly, I was going for the "Understated Egyptian" look. Do you think I pulled it off? I felt like Mara from "Mara, Daughter of the Nile" in my d-a-r-k eyeliner. It felt pretty weird, actually. I sometimes wear makeup, but never eyeliner, and if I did wear eyeliner, I definitely wouldn't do it this dark!

DSC_0021

So, I think I've figured out where I'm going with the makeup. But when it comes to an actual costume... well, let's just say this is a church function. I believe in modesty, but apparently the Egyptians didn't. I'm thinking about doing more of an "Inspired-by" costume than a historically accurate one. I found this website, and I thought it was very helpful. Now all I need is a gold snake bracelet.... hmmm....

3 comments:

  1. Neat! I think the eyeliner is a great Egyptian touch! Ha, it's hard to think of a modest Cleopatra! =) Hope you have a great VBS week!
    Blessings & Love From Your Sis in Christ,
    -Bess-
    P.S.: Sorry I haven't commented on here in a long while...I'm behind on my blog reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!
    I noticed you were home schooled. I am too, and my mom and I were looking into different types of home schooling. We tried online, but want to go for our own, books and all.

    May I please ask your opinion/what you do?

    Thanks,
    Amber
    P.S TOMATOES?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for following my blog Allison. I've enjoyed looking over your blog and am now a follower. I love your bog look BTW... the header is absolutely perfect for you theme!

    Eyeliner is pretty hard to wash off. I don't wear it (my sister and I were just playing around;) so I don't really like the stuff. Hope you do well with your dress up goes well!

    Moe

    ReplyDelete