Saturday, July 10, 2010

In My Costume Closet Pt. 1

For a long time now, I have considered doing some posts documenting my entire costume wardrobe. I finally decided to just do it. So here is the first in, hopefully, a series of posts on the different costumes I own. I would like to invite any other costume collectors to do the same thing! You may use the "In My Costume Closet" graphic if you wish to do it too. ♥

Here is the way this works. Every "In My Costume Closet" post I do will have a theme or "set name". Today I am posting pictures of my actual costume closet, and then some pieces that fit in a "Colonial Spring" category.

Collecting costumes has been a hobby of mine for quite some time now. I have probably close to a hundred costume pieces (maybe more!) and my collection continues to grow. As it has grown, storage has been a bit of a problem, and my mom has tried to get me to "down-size" my collection. Believe me, I've tried. But there is nothing I want to get rid of! Instead, I've just changed storage options. A vast majority of my costumes are in totes in the basement. These are the costumes that get the most wear-and-tear, and the ones that my siblings play with. The costumes which are more fragile, expensive, and precious to me are stored in my bedroom closet. They have completely taken it over, and banished my regular clothes to a stand-along clothing rack in the basement. :)
Costume Closet
Costume ClosetCostume Closet edit 1

I have dresses, coats, shawls, skirts, and shirts hanging up on the rack when you first open my closet. Above the rack is a shelf which has a basket full of small hats. To your right, there is another shelf which holds larger hats and a small basket of gloves. On the floor under that shelf is a basket which has different sizes of boots.

My Featured Costume today is my purple Colonial Dress. My grandma found this at a garage sale and gave it to me. I get most of my costume wardrobe from garage sales and thrift stores. It is such a beautiful dress, and it fits almost perfectly. My younger sister is having an "American Girl" themed birthday party in a few weeks, so I am going to wear this and dress up like Felicity.

Costume Closet


Costume ClosetCostume ClosetCostume Closet

A few more glimpses into my collection....

A spring Écouter (hat in french). We made these at my 15th birthday party out of ribbon flowers, ribbon, and straw hats that I bought at a craft store.

Costume Closet

My Spring Parasol-- perfect for a picnic with friends! {Screencap from BBC's Emma}

[emma09_boxhill4w.jpg]

Costume Closet

And don't forget your elbow-length gloves. A must for our little outing!

Costume Closet

I hope you have enjoyed taking a peek into my costume closet! There is more to come!
I would love to see any costumes you may have. If you post pictures on your blog, leave me a comment and I'll come visit!


6 comments:

  1. How fun!! I can't wait for your future posts. I LOVE historical costumes, but I don't even own any!! Why, I don't know, but I think that is something that needs to be changed. =)
    The Colonial dress is so pretty on you! The purple color is just beautiful.

    ~Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that dress! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I love that dress... so pretty!

    Moe

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOH!!! How neat!! I love costumes, so maybe I should follow your example and collect them!! I love the purple dress... I have one that is very similar to it. :)
    Where do you find all of the costumes?

    Love in Christ,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete