Monday, August 16, 2010

My Birthday Party! (help wanted!)

P lanning a birthday party is much harder than one would think. This Saturday is my 16th birthday, and I've got to plan and throw a party! The planning stage is what I'm a bit stuck on. For a while I had NO idea what my theme was going to be or even who I was going to invite! My party evolved from being "Scavenger Hunt" and "Apples to Apples" oriented party to a "Movie" party. But I have finally made a decision--somewhat-- on what party I am going to have.

Ready for this???

*drumroll please...*

A Mystery Party!!!

I am going to be buying a pre-written mystery party kit. Here's the way they work. Before the party, each guest is going to receive an envelope describing a character they are going to be. They have to come to the party dressed up as their character, and acting in-character. Once they get there, they are given a sheet of paper giving them "prompters" of questions to ask the other character/guests (You don't actually have a script to read, though). You are also told on the paper what "You" (i.e. your character) already know about the mystery, and what you are free to share with other characters that come asking you questions. As time goes on, you are given more clues, and towards the end you must write who you think did it. The guests who guess right will get a prize (to be decided).

At the very end, awards will be handed out award-ceremony style for different categories such as "Best Costume", "Best Acting", "Best Detective"... etc....

Dinner and Dessert will also be served.

Now the one question remains-- WHICH MYSTERY SHOULD I DO????? I have one that I think sounds fun, but I need some input. This particular mystery has been done by adults and kids alike, but I am not sure if I like it or not. It is a library/literary mystery. (click here for the website this mystery comes from.)

Mystery Description: The other night in the library, when many characters were out of their books enjoying a sojourn in the night air, a crime was committed, grim and grave, right in our own library. As a result his Majesty Henry VIII - that famous monarch from the English history books - has disappeared.

The thing that appeals to me most about this mystery is the characters everyone could be. Since it is literary-based, everyone will come dressed up as a character from different story books. Some of the possible characters are....


♥Alice in Wonderland

♥Huck Finn

♥Cinderella

♥Pinocchio

♥Snow White

♥Peter Pan

♥Little Red Riding Hood

♥Robin Hood

♥Goldilocks

♥Aladdin


The guests attending will vary in age from 12 years old to 17 years old. There will be 8 girls and 4 boys. (I realize there are only 11 characters mentioned in the list above... you can add more when you purchase the kit.)

Here are some pictures from the website of other people who did this party (These are examples of more characters you could add) :


Jared's photo of Sherlock Holmes and Little Red Riding HoodDebbie's photo of Dorothy and the Witch from her Mystery In The Library party
Rosemary's photo of Peter Pan and Wendy and the books mural from their Who Stole The Cookies party


So, what do you all think? Should I go for it? Do you think you would enjoy coming to a party like this? Do you think it will work well for the diverse age ranges I'm inviting?




5 comments:

  1. That sounds WAY more fun than a scavenger hunt!!! I like the literature idea a LOT!!!!

    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mystery parties! I have never been to one from a box. A friend wrote one several years ago, and last year I wrote one for my brother's 16th birthday party. It wasn't the best, but I think everyone had fun. : )

    Have you thought about decorations yet? I recently discovered how easy it is to make tissue paper flowers and how pretty they look. I taught my younger siblings how and we were making them just for fun all last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it sounds like alot of fun! Especially the literary characters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun!!! Happy early birthday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness gracious! You should TOTALLY plan that kit for your party! Holy cow, if I was invited to something like that, it would be so awesome. My vote is definitely for YES! *DO IT*

    ReplyDelete