Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Song I Don't Like....

I love listening to music, especially Christian music, while I work. But today, as I was listening to a "Wow Worship" CD, I heard a song I did not like very much at all. The song was "Draw Me Close To You". I had heard this song before, but this time I really listened to the lyrics, and after the end of the song, I realized this song had many problems with it. Before I say why I don't like this song, however, take a look for yourself at the lyrics below:

Draw me close to You
Never let me go
I lay it all down again
To hear You say that I'm Your friend

You are my desire
No one else will do
'Cause nothing else could take Your place
To feel the warmth of Your embrace
Help me find the way
Bring me back to You

You're all I want
You're all I've ever needed
You're all I want
Help me know You are near



All right, here we go!

The first thing I noticed was the fact that the name Jesus, God, Lord or any other names of God were not even mentioned in the song. Not once. The song, while it is implied it is being sung to God, is extremely generic. Not only does it not specifically name who it is we "desire", "want", etc. but it does not even specifically mention anything that relates to God's absolute power, and, well, "God-ness".

This song, while it is assumed that it is being sung to God, is so completely generic that it could be sung to a human as a love song! Re-read the lyrics. Such lines as "Draw me close to You/Never let me go", "You are my desire/No one else will do/'Cause nothing else could take Your place/To feel the warmth of Your embrace" say nothing about God's superiority, holiness, sovereignty, etc. but bring Him down to a human love relationship level. Not only that, but as a love song, it is extremely self-focused, and doesn't even exemplify the kind of love found in 1 Corinthians 13.

The worship aspect is not there. The dictionary defines worship as the following:

1Wor·ship \ˈwər-shəp also ˈwȯr-\ noun : reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power; also : an act of expressing such reverence

Are we giving reverence (honor or respect felt or shown - profound adoring awed respect) to God when we are so focused on ourselves to say "me" or "I" 10 times in one song? It seems that this song is more about "me", and what "I can get out of God", than what I can give to Him. (i.e. worship, respect, praise, my life, my heart etc.) or what He has done.

I also think it is interesting how it is implied in the song that God will not keep his promise in Hebrews 13:5 "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." or in John 10:27-30 “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.".

The lyrics "Never let me go" make it sound as if we, as believers, are in danger of being "let go" by God, even though the Bible clearly states that we are secure in him.

Lastly, the song does not tell of the attributes of God, or of what He has done. Are we truly praising God when we bring Him down to a human level, and say nothing about His perfection or what He has done for us? I realize there is a place for songs in which we submit ourselves to Christ, and I am not saying that all of these are bad or wrong. But I feel that this particular song is not worth listening to or singing to God. He deserves better than that.

6 comments:

  1. And to top it off, it's a REALLY boring sing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... you're right, I never noticed that. Good point.

    Abby :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I never looked at it that way before either! Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, I had never thought of it that way. I definitely see what you are saying.
    I do think that sometimes there is a place for songs that pour out your heart to God. This song expresses your longing to be near to Him.
    I agree that a lot of modern worship songs are very self centered, but I never thought of this as being one of them since it's not focused so much on what God can do for you but on how we need him to be near us.
    I don't know, I'm kind of rambling, but thanks for posting this, it's good to stop and think about our song choices once in awhile. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey!

    Finally a person who also carefully examines the music that they are listening to! Some "Christian" songs even include low expections for our relationship with Christ, which makes me sad!

    I started a free, online Christian girls magazine called Inspired. I was wondering if you were interested in subscribing or joining the staff. For more info, check out our website: www.inspiredmagazine.webs.com

    Blessings,
    Maggie
    www.foreverfindingmybliss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very true!! :) Definitely a lot of things we need to think about when choosing God-honoring songs. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete