Friday, December 31, 2010

Goodbye, 2010 and My Favorite Posts From This Year

So it's the last day of 2010. I suppose this should be a very inspiring post, resolving what was in the previous year, and sending us flying full-speed into the new year. Well, I'm sorry to say that I am not feeling very inspiring today. It may have something to do with staying up till midnight for the past two nights... a girl needs her beauty sleep! But I will say this one thing. This past year has been a great year, some moments decidedly greater than others. But I can see God's grace through everything.

On facebook, you can "like" certain phrases, which are often funny, and there is this one that I see all the time. It says "This time last year everything was *so* different." Well, as it is almost January 2011, I can apply this to January 2010. And yes, everything was so different then. Parts of me can hardly believe that it was only a year ago that we were going to a different church. That my dad had a different job. That I was a different age. That we hadn't experienced some of the trying things that happened during the summer.

So much can change in a year. My mom has a saying which I think is very true... consider everything temporary, and enjoy it while you have it. That is not meant to be depressing, or to say that you are going to lose everything, but it is meant as a reminder, and sometimes even as an encouragement. You can interpret this as 'When you a going through a bad time, it is only temporary, so persevere.' But it can also mean something else. Enjoy what you have right now... don't be always looking to the future, and worrying and waiting for everything to be absolutely perfect. Enjoy the little things God has given you right now. I've heard that when you are old, you will be more disappointed by the things you never did than the things you did do, and failed at. At least when you fail you can say you tried.

Don't let life's little blessings pass you by, in 2011 and beyond.

Learn To Like
By Robert Service


School yourself to savour most
Joys that have but little cost;
Prove the best of life is free,
Sun and stars and sky and sea;
Eager in your eyes to please,
Proffer meadows, brooks and trees;
Nature strives for your content,
Never charging you a cent.

Learn to love a garden gay,
Flowers and fruit in rich array.
Care for dogs and singing birds,
Have for children cheery words.
Find plain food and comfort are
More than luxury by far.
Music, books and honest friends
Outweigh golden dividends.

Love your work and do it well,
Scorning not a leisure spell.
Hold the truest form of wealth
Body fit and ruddy health.
Let your smile of happiness
Rustic peace serenely stress:
Home to love and heart to pray--
Thank you God for every day.


Some Of My Favorite Blog Posts From 2010:


January 2010 "Garage Sale Treasures"

January 2010 - Garage Sale Treasures - "One of my favorite past-times is re-sale and garage sale shopping. I love sifting through interesting piles of stuff, looking for that one treasure you hope to find."


February 2010 - Snow/Happy Valentine's Day!

February 2010 - Snow/Happy Valentine's Day! - "Here in Northern Ohio, we don't usually get much snow. But this past week we got about 10 inches of the stuff!"

March 2010 - My New Haircut {{The Big Reveal!}} - "So, here are the pictures I promised! I am soooo thrilled with how my hair turned out!"
emma

April 2010 - Battle of the Emma's - "After watching the premier of BBC's newest Jane Austen movie, Emma, I was thrilled! The movie, in my opinion, was well-made and extremely entertaining! So imagine my surprise to read reviews on other people's blogs saying how the shorter, older "Emma" starring Gwyneth Paltrow was so much better! Could it be true??"

DSC_0191

Goat
May 2010 - Holmes County Vacation Pictures
and Animals of Holmes County


May 2010 - Holmes County Vacation Pictures (Part 1) and Animals of Holmes County (Part 2) - "In Holmes County, every-day life is just plain special! You find beauty even in every-day things such as the rolling hills (H.C. is overflowing with them) or colorful swings in a private Amish school's yard."

June 2010 - Updates, Photos, Piano, and French - "**The following contains words in French. I do not personally know or speak french-- I just know how to operate that vast ocean of knowledge- Google.com. Translations provided for the non-french at the bottom**"

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Jonas-as-robin-hood-jonas-armstrong-732249_360_480.jpg
July 2010 - Robin Hood

July 2010 - Robin Hood - "I have found that if there is a word phrase to describe the typical homeschooler (besides "super~smart", "polite", or "spelling bee champ") it might be "Medieval/Fantasy Obsessed"."

August 2010 - Crepes! (recipe) - "Yum! As I type this, I am taking the last bite of my breakfast; homemade crepes with homemade whipped cream, powdered sugar, and fresh strawberries on top!"

September 2010 - History Alive! - "
A few months ago, I was talking to a lady who said her son strongly disliked History. She was using a textbook-like history program, which her son was not enjoying."

October 2010 - Old-Fashioned Pictures - "My good friend, Erin, and I participated in a historical reenactment last Saturday. It was very fun! "
November 2010 - A Hat Refashioned

November 2010 - A Hat Refashioned - "Soooo, Christmas Carol. Just like Christmas Carol 2007, Christmas Carol 2008 and Christmas Carol 2009, it has basically taken over 80% of my life. I have fought hard to continue on as usual, but it has finally caught up with me and locked it's proverbial hands around my proverbial throat, strangling me to within a few inches of my life (or at least sanity)."

December 2010 - Snowfall "There is something so mysterious about a snowfall. Snow is not an object that can be easily understood."

Until Next Year, then.

1 comment:

  1. Allison ~ Just wanted to say that through this past year, your blog has been quite an inspiration to me.

    May God abundantly bless you & your family in 2011. What an exciting time… Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete