Friday, March 9, 2012

Book-Inspired Elation


E·la·tion (iˈlāSHən) : n. That feeling you get when you reach the end of a book that had you spellbound... then you find out it's part of a series and there are two more waiting for you.

This evening I finished the book "Matched" by Ally Condie. My first reaction was, "NOOOOO!!!! It's over?!?!?! But that CAN'T be the end!!" Then I rushed over to computer and google searched the book... and then, as the Hallelujah Chorus rang through the livingroom (stilllll trying to figure out where that was coming from....) I exclaimed (inwardly) "YESS! There's a sequel!!!!!!" Needless to say, I requested it from the library and am now awaiting with baited breath the next installment in the series.


"What is this book, "Matched", about?" You may ask. In response to your question, here is a description of the book... which I shamelessly ripped off of Amazon.com. (Don't judge me.)
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no
one else has dared to follow.

Now, after reading the book's description, some of you may be thinking, "Wow. This girl calls herself a homeschooler and yet reads such twaddle?? tsk. tsk." Firstly, yes, I do read such "twaddle", and I enjoy it immensely without shame. As a matter of fact, I also read and loved the "Hunger Games", "Harry Potter", "A Series of Unfortunate Events", and "Twilight" (haters gonna hate...) over the course of my life. But, in my defense, the fact that I used the word "twaddle" in my quotation, (which I happen to know is a Charlotte Mason term... 10 points for Gryffindor!) must mean that my brain hasn't been completely corrupted by such literature. :)

Then there's bound to be the other group of people who read the description and immediately ran to their local library/bookstore/amazon.com and got a copy of the book and began reading immediately. If you are one such person, all I have to say is "You are welcome, my twaddle-reading kindred spirit. Enjoy."

null


By the way, this book is awesome enough to have a trailer.
Uh huh. Oh ya!
I bet "Hamlet" or "The Grapes of Wrath" or "The Great Gatsby" don't have trailers...


2 comments:

  1. Now, after reading the book's description, some of you may be thinking, "Wow. This girl calls herself a homeschooler and yet reads such twaddle?? tsk. tsk." Firstly, yes, I do read such "twaddle", and I enjoy it immensely without shame. As a matter of fact, I also read and loved the "Hunger Games", "Harry Potter", "A Series of Unfortunate Events", and "Twilight"



    Well i'm not a homeshcooler and i read all books you mentioned above. But what's the matter. American teenagers seems like to be labeling any group of people by their read.

    Thank God its difference with my people, we make a friend with everybody and honoring eachother no matter what their hobby is.

    So i welcome you to be my friend!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sounds kinda lame to me... like another hunger games love triangle thing or something. oh well. i might just check it out, tho. :)

    love,
    manda
    http://meandjesus-amanda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete