Friday, March 16, 2012

To be, rather than to seem.


"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do." James 1:22

*One* of my favorite books of the Bible, James, reminds me of something I've been thinking about a lot lately... Not just hearing the word of God and knowing what you should be and how you should live, but doing... putting into action what you know.

I read something kinda random the other day, but it summed up this whole thought: Esse quam videri. (Ooh. Latin. :) ) That just so happens to be the motto of the state of North Carolina (which is interesting, because I don't even live in North Carolina... that's why I said it was random...) Anyway, the meaning of that particular phrase is "To be, rather than to seem."

To be, rather than to seem.

I want to be like that. I don't want to be like the person who looks at themself in a mirror, but forgets what they just saw when they walk away. I don't want to just seem like I am doing what I ought and following what I say I believe. I want to absorb what God wants me to be and do, and then put into action the things I learn about God, and live the faith I claim!

In other news, here's an awesome song which I love very much and listen to practically every day:


I love it... especially the part in the rap that says:

"Every moment I lie, Every moment I covet
I'm deserving to die, I'm earning your judgment
I, without the cross there's only condemnation
If Jesus wasn't executed there's no celebration.
So in times that are good, in times that are bad
For any time I've had it all I will be glad
And I will boast in the cross, I boast in His name
I will boast in the sunshine, boast in His reign (rain)
What's my life if it's not praising You
Another dollar in my bank account of vain pursuit, I do
That count my life as any value or precious at all
Let me finish my race, let me answer Your call!"

Hoping everyone has a good weekend...


null

2 comments: