Thursday, July 5, 2012

Nutella, Strawberries, and A Book About Guns

It has been so, so hot around here lately. Our winter was virtually non-existant (I can only remember a handful of days where we actually had snow), and the summer temperatures have risen accordingly. Tomorrow the temp is forecasted to be 99 degrees with a heat index that has fluctuated all day but currently stands at 113 degrees.

One hundred thirteen degrees, people.

I am not one who enjoys hot temperatures.
At all.

And I especially hold animosity in my heart towards this blazing sun garbage because even now as I sit here typing this, multiple layers of skin on my back are literally flaking and peeling off from a horrible sunburn I got last Thursday. It's gross and it makes me feel like a reptile.

So, as my mom and I like to say, we're "bunkering in". Staying indoors where there is shade, air conditioning, and manna from heaven in the form of Nutella and Strawberries.

I would like to take a moment here to talk about the last thing I mentioned. So, mom bought some Nutella for Nutella pancakes the other day. We don't generally buy the stuff because it's kind of expensive and, despite it's claims to be made out of hazelnuts and to be a substitute for peanut butter, it tastes like creamy chocolate and I don't eat chocolate sandwiches. That's just weird.

But I do happen to eat chocolate covered strawberries. They are probably one of my favorite treats (cheesecake, chocolate chip cookies, and peanut butter cookies are def. up there as well, though). Anyway, awhile back I tried Nutella and Strawberries and remembered it as a delicious combination, so I stuck some on my plate during lunch.

Well, I just so happened to eat lunch next to my mom who saw my treat and wanted to try some.

Fast forward to now... We have two completely full jars of nutella in our house (one is in the basement with mom as I type and we had one more, but mom gave it to her grandma to try...) and the largest 2lb carton of strawberries I have ever seen in my life sitting on our kitchen counter.


Seriously, this stuff is gooood. If you have never tried it, I suggest doing so, and quickly.
Also, it's healthy. 
Well, I think it's healthy.   
Ok, so "healthy" may be an eensy teensy stretch... but it's not really bad for you.

The other thing I'm planning on doing in this hot weather is reading. (In my air conditioning.) I joined the library's summer reading club. The way their reading club works for teens is every time you read a book you add the title into your online account, and you are then entered into a drawing for a whole variety of cool prizes. (Some of them cooler than others. For example, a 1G Flash Drive is a bit underwhelming, but a Kindle Fire lights more of a fire under my behind to get reading.) (Please excuse the incredibly corny pun.)

Anyway, I've been trying to get some good books to read from the library, but I've been having a really hard time finding anything even remotely interesting. I promise I won't rant here, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, a lot of teen books are ridiculous. With descriptions such as,
"On the first day of summer vacation, teenaged sisters M'Rose, Elle, and Celina step out into the tropical heat of their island home and continue their headlong tumble toward adulthood. Boys, schoolyard fights, petty thievery, and even illicit alcohol make for a heady mix, as 'The Zabime Sisters' indulge in a little summertime freedom."
and...
"When her ex writes a break-up song about her that rockets up the charts, Audrey is suddenly famous--she can't go out without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi."
it's easy to get discouraged. Thanks but no thanks. I'll just wait until these books get turned into cheesy made-for-Disney-Channel movies, and on some night when a stomach ache refuses to let me sleep at 2:00 AM and they're showing it for all the kids whose parent's don't make them go to bed at a decent hour, I'll watch it and laugh in the midst of my exhaustion and pain.

But I digress. 

The reason I mention the reading club at all, though, is because today I added my first book of the summer to it. The book is called, "The Rifle" and it's by Gary Paulsen. 

I actually just got this book today, and to be honest, I read it merely because it was short (only 105 pages... I've been assigned more in one setting for school many a times...) and I wanted to get an entry in the reading club so I would feel motivated to continue. I certainly wasn't expecting what I was about to read.   

                                                            
I don't want to tell you all too much because I want you to read it for yourselves, but in 105 pages an masterful story is woven. It follows the creation and "life" of a rifle from the 1700's to present time. It explores the oft-heard expression, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." through story, and it really packs a punch, especially in the end. 

Speaking of the library book club, though, I only have three other books checked out to read, so I'm gonna need some more titles to rack up giveaway entries. I would love some book recommendations... especially (but certainly not limited to) shorter reads so I can get entries quickly. But I'm willing to read longer books, too. :)

I think that's it for now...
Go find yourself some Nutella and Strawberries. 

null

3 comments:

  1. You just talked to a GIANT reader!!! I have a whole list...

    The Red Pyramid (the Kane Chronicals) Haven't read the whole series, but this book is really good...check out the others... (Rick Riordan)

    All of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians (really good series - and funny!) (Rick Riordan)

    Reckless (Cornelia Funke)

    To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)

    Love Comes Softly Series (Jannette Oke)

    Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)

    Little Men (Louisa May Alcott)

    Five Little Peppers series (Margaret Sidney)

    Sisters of the Sword (Maya Snow)

    Blue Jasmine (Kashmira Sheth)

    The Palace of Mirrors (Margaret Haddix)

    Just Ella (Margaret Haddix)

    Away Goes Sally (Elizabeth Coatsworth)

    The Fair American (Elizabeth Coatsworth)

    The White Horse (Elizabeth Coatsworth)

    Five Bushel Farm (Elizabeth Coatsworth)

    The Wonderful Day (Elizabeth Coatsworth)

    Dragon Rider (Cornelia Funkre)

    Nancy Drew Series (Carolyn Keene)

    Agatha Christie Mysteries

    So, these are “a few” from my giant library…good luck with your reading club! Hope you win the kindle!!!

    Anastasia

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my fav book is Emily of Deep Valley by Maud Hart Lovelace and also Carney's House Party by the same author. They are older books but they are written for teens and SOOO much better than the books today. Those book descriptions are HILARIOUS! And this is supposed to make me want to read the book!?!
    If you want something funny try P.G. Wodehouse. His books are a fast read and just hilarious.

    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygoodness. I LOVE NUTELLA!
    {I also love this post in its entirety. That book looks interesting!}

    ReplyDelete